Thursday, May 22, 2008

CBH Challenge for May 20th


Well after trying a few things that didn't work the way I expected them too, I finally finished my pin for this week's CBH Challenge. I'm content, although I might try making another one that has a bit more umph to it (contrast and glitz). My first try was using a mold I made of one of Suzanne's flourish stamps and pouring UTEE (ultra thick embossing enamel) and Opals into it, but it just looked like a thick piece of embossing powder. Then I though I'd try a glass glob over a circle of cardstock with rubber stamped stuff on it and then wrapped with wires etc. Similar to what I did last year for gifts for some friends after our marbling class. But this time I wanted to use UTEE. I had made a rubber mold of my glass glob and poured in the UTEE, but I got some ridges in the glob and it wasn't as clear see through as I wanted. So I was back tot he drawing board. I still wnated a circle of cardstock with the rubber stamped images. And that part worked, but then I wanted something to keep the letters of my name more support, so the heart came in to play. All of it was coated with several layers of clear embossing powder to both protect, give a shine and as a glue.
I used red mat board for the circle and heart, edging and painting them over with a Krylon gold metal leafing pen. Sanded the circle piece a bit for the red to show through. Rubber stamped the images onto white cardstock with black stamp pad and embosed with Hematite, then cut them out and attached them to the circle. My name is done with punched out letters using my Sizzlets die and various papers, (prepunched in my stash). I rubber stamped the word "ART" directly to the heart and embossed with the Hematite, then all over with the clear.
I think I'll wear it to the Thomas Hoyer class on Saturday.

6 comments:

okanagan_spirit said...

It's stunning Yogi. What a great way to wear a name badge.

Femmy said...

beautiful pin!!!!!!

Rosie said...

It's really unique Yogi, and very you! It certainly was challenging, wasn't it?!

Sandy said...

Wow this is really unique.
Amazing pin.

Art By Wanda said...

I like it!!!! Very nice!!!

Anonymous said...

I had to come over to your blog after you commented on so much of my art, thanks so much.

This is a great piece I wish I could see it in person.