Saturday, November 29, 2008

More on the surgery

Well the surgery on Tuesday went well if almost 3 hours later than should have been.
So there I was sitting in the waiting room with other patients in that stupid hospital gown (luckily they gave me a housecoat too, and those plastic booties, not warm) and reading my book, not having eaten or drunk anything since the previous evening, and now they're saying it might be another hour or so before surgery since the doctor is running late on the one he's doing now...

Ok so everyone has departed the waiting room and I'm the last one. It's after 3pm (mine should have been at 12:45) and I'm finally called go up. Lots of questions about anesthesia, allergies etc. Since I've never been in a hospital overnight except to be born, I have no idea about the anesthesia part. And as far as I know, I have no allergies etc etc. I had also brought a piece of tape to put over my ear "not this ear", just to make sure they don't do the operation on the wrong side, so my doctor put a couple "x" marks on the side he had to operate on. Thank you...

Ok so I'm finally brought into the operating room, not quite like on TV, but there are about 6 people there doing all kinds of things. My cute anesthetist, Michael, will be going off shift so he's replaced with a guy named Bill. OK. They insert that intravenous thing and the next thing I know, I'm in a bed recovering... I think the nurse said it was 5:30 and the operation ended about 15 minutes ago. Went to the bathroom, and then the next thing I know it's 8:30, time to go. Still a bit drowsy. They gave me some water and a couple crackers... well the crackers weren't a good idea. Came up pretty quickly. Sheesh. I got dressed and my cousin got me out of there with some pain meds and stuff.

I'm home and I immediately flake out. Middle of the night I wake up and feel a few twinges of pain and take a pain med. I must admit, there was very little pain. In the hospital on a scale of 1 to 10, I wavered between a 2 and a 2.5, so pretty good as far as I'm concerned. At home when I woke up in the night it was at around the 2 again and never went above it, so didn't have to take anymore pain meds, which I'm happy about. But boy the nausea and dizziness was there. No solid food till Thursday at around noon. Anything I tried before that, didn't stay down. Just water. One way to go on a diet... But by Thursday noon, I started eating some roasted chicken breast, some dry bread, potato chips and later in the evening some ice cream. The next day was even better. Did make some home made juice in my juicer that went down real good (combination of apple, grapes and carrot), so got my vitamins that way. I'm still sleeping quite a bit, like up for an hour and sleep for 2 or 3 hours. I'm hoping tomorrow (Sunday) I can go out for a bit. I will be going to work on Monday, but maybe leave early.

And I must be improving since I did some artwork and updated my website and stuff.
Will post when I get the hearing aid for the cochlear implant which should happen around Dec 29th.

No comments: