Monday, July 29, 2013

MC July/13 - Quill Grasses Wayward Wind - Wanderlust


I used to love watching the tall grasses sway in the wind amongst the broken shells on the dunes, and just out of sight, hear the waves crash against the shore... Sigh - I miss it. That's what this card symbolizes.

I saw a quilled piece (you can see it here) using these types of grasses (they called wheat) and new I had to make something similar...

I side folded a cream toned card 6"w x 5"h. Adhered my quilled elements including the stems made from hand painted tissue paper twisted like paper thread. I also added some off shoots done with half the width of a normal quill strip. Wrote in my words with a pointed pen and Sumi ink.

side view
"and the wayward wind is a restless wind
 a restless wind that yearns to wander." (written by Stanley Lebowsky & Herb Newman)
The song was just repeating itself in my brain...

Then I stamped the word "Wanderlust" (Quietfire Design) with Versafine "Olympia Green" and clear embossed.

Stamped the shells (starfish Old Island Rubber) with Vintage Sepia and embossed with Pearlescent and colored with a dirty Distress sponge - deep pink. Stamped the other shell (Evo) with the brown and clear embossed, sponged with some red and yellow. Cut both out and shaped them with a stylus before adhering to card.

Click on images to enlarge. Enjoy

And it fits for these challenges:
Fresh Brewed Designs  Monthly - Take a vacation
Die Kreativen Stempel Freunde  #82 Summer, sun, holiday
Tuesday Throwdown  #157 Beach inspired
Cute Card Thursday  #279  beside the sea
Opus Gluei  #162 beach
Quirky Crafts  #15 include a garden item and an under the sea item
Craft Your Passion  #173  3d it




9 comments:

Spyder said...

ohooo a bit of quilling! (something I've never tried)Lovely take on the challenge! Thank you for joining Quirky Crafts!
((Lyn)) DT

Peanut said...

What a lovely creation. Super quilling action too. Thanks for dipping your Toes in the Sand!
Asha - Tuesday Throwdown DT
Sunny Summer Crafts

NanaConnie said...

Yogi, What a perfect card for our "Toes in the Sand" challenge at Tuesday Throwdown this time. Love those soft colors and the seashells! Good luck.
NanaConnie DT

Leslie Miller said...

Ahh, your grasses are beautiful and so natural looking waving in the wind. Wonderful card, Yogi!

Rosemary said...

A very thoughtful card and the grass has the feeling of movement, beautifully created.

Thank you very much for participating in our Opus Gluei theme!

Electra said...

I always adore your quill work, Yogi and this is no exception. It makes me think of the eastern seaboard, and now that I do, I am wishing I were there! Thanks for joining us at Opus Gluei!

Anonymous said...

This is such a cool card! I love all the 3D elements! Thanks for linking up to the latest Quirky Crafts challenge!
Daire (DT)

Bonnie Irvine said...

This card is beautiful. It's one I wish I could see in real life. The quilling and twisted stems are amazing. The stamping and sculpting add so much to the scene. Your writing is also wonderful. Thanks for joining our 3-D It challenge at Craft your Passion challenges this week. I enjoyed my visit today.

Jana said...

So elegant. Love these soft colors. Thanks so much for playing along with us at OPUS GLUEI.