Monday, March 20, 2017

Gems - Tutorial


http://yogiemp.com/NittyGritty/images/GemsTutorial.pdf
I'll be showing the gals at our next get together how I draw and color my gems. I love drawing them and adding the doodling around them. Relaxing and fun...

Click on the image to download a full size printable PDF file of the tutorial or click HERE for the file. Enjoy

The gems done on white paper are from a good quality sketch paper pad with no name... the black is Recollections brand cardstock.  The brownish paper is Bee paper Bogus Recycled Sketch paper.

All gems were colored with Prisma colored pencils which I find are the best and have lots of wax within them for god blending/merging of color. An optional pencil is Derwent Artist (not Derwent Studio). Most other pencils don't have enough wax in them and you will probably struggle trying to achieve the results you want.

On the black and brownish paper, I first put a light layer of white pencils.

Doodling done with a micron .01 pen or a Zig Writer. The white is a Sakura Gelly Roll Med gel pen.


2 comments:

I'm a Little Teapot said...

Thanks for the pdf, Yogi! I bought some Prisma pencils not too long ago and I will need to try to make my own gems. :)

Have a good day!

Leslie Miller said...

Oh, my wow, Yogi! This is fabulous! Thanks for all the details. Your color blending is perfect. I have the 150 set, so I'll be saving this. What really gets me is those little veins. So realistic!