Saturday, December 5, 2009

Day 5 of Tim Holtz Tags

Day 5 of Tim's tags: is another wonderful tag day on Tim's blog. Haven't won anything yet... but the techniques and stuff are a wealth of information. Today's tag deals with fragments (acrylic charms) used as ornaments with some silver tape at the top to mimic the ornament hanger (finally will use the ones I bought months ago). Selective thermal embossing to get a multi colored effect. I do that with Glitter all the time and have done it with Embossing Powder as well, but not as often. Using a thin coating of Glossy Accents on the whole back of the acrylic fragment to adhere to your piece of cardstock.

So rubber stamped several images (Fancy Pants Designs "Blissful Season #773"; Inkadinkado "Winter Birds" #98396) on white cardstock using Archival Black stamp pad. Colored by sponging with Distress stamp pads, then adding some Ritz micro fine glitter with a Quickie glue pen (Tim used Stickles). Let that dry thoroughly.


Worked on the white cardstock tag. Rubber stamped the pine branch (Stubby Stampers #2439) with Distress stamp pad and embossed with Distress embossing powders. I didn't have the right colors, so I mixed a bit of regular embossing powders in with the Distress EP I had. Worked fine. So I put a mix of greens on the pine sprigs and browns on the pinecones. Then I used a dauber with gold paint on my flourish stamp ("Holiday Wishes" #97734 set) and stamped that several times. Let that all dry well. Sponged the background with various Distress stamp pads (Shabby Shutters, Aged Mahogany, Antique Linen). Rubber stamped the script (Glitz Designs Distressing set #S243) with the archival stamp pad, repeatedly to fill the tag.

In between coloring the tag I went back and finished my ornaments. A thin layer of Glossy Accents, then smooshing the fragment onto my stamp art and holding down for approx 60 seconds to let the Glossy Accents attach itself to the fragment. Continued with the rest of the ornaments. Trimmed close with an x-acto knife, sanded off the excess paper, colored the back of the ornament with some Distress pad and the script stamp. Put a piece of silver Electric tape on my ornament, wrapping it around, opened the hole up again and threaded a piece of 26 gauge green wire through, wrapping it around itself and forming with a bone folder.

Added the Peel Offs gold borders at the top and bottom of the tag and then one of my calligraphic white Peel Off sentiments. Lastly, tied a gauze pink/green ribbon.

The 2 ATCs below use the same technique.



No comments: