Saturday, January 18, 2014

MC Jan/14 - Dreamweaver Fern - Sympathy cards

 I hate thinking about it, but I'm going to need a few sympathy card in the very near future... and since Dreamweaver's challenge this month is CAS cards, I figured I'd use the incentive and make a couple...

I used the Dreamweaver LJ846 stencil for these cards. Love ferns and this stencil BIG GRIN.

Both cards are 4.25"w x 5.5"h side folded white cardstock. Both use Quietfire Design calligraphy stamps ("10 Tiny Words set" or "With Deepest Sympathy")

For the first card, I masked off a 1" border all around. Lay my stencil down and applied Distress "Crushed Olive" all over then hit it with a bit of "Forest Moss". Applied the regular white paste which picked up the water based green pigment on the card, so I used that for the card below... Removed the stencil and dried it naturally.

Drew in the thin green line border using a Distress marker. Embossed the leaf border (Cuttlebug "Organic Flourish" set) using my hard rubber mallet to emboss only where I wanted...

Stamped the sentiment on white cardstock using Versafine "Olympian Green" and touching here and there with Black Onyx, then clear embossed. Die cut with Spellbinders "Fancy Tags" die set and sponged with my dirty green sponge. Adhered to card and added the pale green rhinestones.

For the second card, as I mentioned above, I used the dirty white paste (didn't want to waste it BIG GRIN) and just spread it over the stencil. I wasn't careful enough and a bit landed past my stencil - sigh!!, so I scrapped off as much as I could, but there was still a stain, so I creatively covered it up with the green border...

I did that by masking off the center white area leaving a 1 border all around which I sponged with Olive and then lightly with "Frayed Burlap".

Stamped my sentiment with the black. Drew in my outline border with the olive marker. Voila, all done.

Click on either card image to enlarge. Enjoy

And it fits for these challenges:
Dreamweaver  Monthly Jan  CAS
Brown Sugar Challenge  #77  anything goes
Sister Act Card Challenge  #40 anything goes
Sweet Stampin Challenge  Use your favorite style (side folded CAS)



9 comments:

Robyn said...

Love these CAS cards.
i thought the second card was the fern stencil debossed!

Leslie Miller said...

Beautiful CAS cards! There is something so soothing about ferns, and I love them for sympathy cards. I need some for my stash, too. I always make them at the last minute and then it's so difficult.

Rachel said...

Very pretty cards. Thank you for showing us your style at Sweet Stampin this week, Wedgie xxx

mixamatoasties said...

Beautiful CAS cards.

Thanks for sharing at Sweet Stampin' this week.

Susan

Louise said...

Both cards are lovely Yogi! The CAS style is perfect for Sympathy cards. Thanks for joining the Dreamweaver challenge!

Pia Larsen said...

Stunning cards! You work the stencil and paste perfectly.
Thank you for sharing with us at Sweet Stampin' this week.
Pia xx

NickScrapShack said...

Very elegant and pretty!

Thank you for joining our Anything Goes at Brown Sugar this week! Good luck!
Nick

Lynell Harlow / Dreamweaver Stencils said...

Yogi...this is elegant and simple as well...and TWO of them WOW! Thank you for joining our CAS challenge at Dreamweaver Stencils this month.

Pam Hornschu said...

I love both of these, but especially the second one. At first I thought that you had DEbossed it until I read your process in the post. Just beautiful color and texture! Thanks for linking with the Dreamweaver challenge!