I've been playing with Tyvek on Sunday and this is an ATC made as a result. I was having a lot of fun. (it also turned out to use black cardstock and be an ATC, which is this week's Created By hand challenge)
I used the Tyvek I got From Quietfire Design and cut my sheet into smaller pieces about 6" x 6" or so. I colored it before heating it. I tried my Derwent Inktense watercolor pencils, which didn't work as well as I would have liked. The Tyvek acted more like a resist to them. So then I tried some watercolors (Daniel Smith)straight from the tube on a misted piece of Tyvek. I added a bit of Gold Gouache (Maimerie) and I like the results. I also tried diluted Adirondack Color washes (worked well). I heated it carefully to speed up the drying of my watercolors, but not enough to start the shrinking process. When the paint was basically dry, I then used 2 pieces of my melt art mats (one under my Tyvek and one to press down after it started deforming and was still hot). I kept heating, pressing down, turning it over and repeating the proces until I got what I wanted (I used a long needle awl to hold my Tyvek in place while heating it). Some are also done with a hot iron, but I used a TOO hot iron and they became like an acrylic film which I lifted from the melt art mat. Different effect. I like both methods. I'm still going to be experimenting. I want to try selective heating with a clover iron and with the tip of my regular iron, etc etc. But here's what I've done so far.
PS I'll be putting a link to my website with more details and the rest of the ATC's (5 more so far)within the next day or so.
OKay the link is on the pic. Enjoy