Friday, April 9, 2021

Practicing Italic and Fraktur...


Practicing Italic and Fraktur...

I'm taking a 3 session Italic class with Barbara Close. The1st one was last Tuesday. I've always been frustrated with Italic. There are so many variations. It's so confusing and I get it mixed up with Foundational and Carolingian and others. Sigh. So I decided to try taking another class, maybe it will sink in this time. 

So my practicing has become a card for someone...

Both lettering pieces are done with a 6.0 Parallel pen double dipped into various colors of Holbien gouache, then in the in between areas with a 3.0 Parallel pen.

The Edmonton Calligraphy Society had an enrichment session this past Wednesday evening with Sachin Shah (@shinhanart). Love his style of Blackletter and other takes. So for this ZOOM class he showed us Fraktur caps. PS he's one of the main lettering artists in the 25 Speedball text edition. I'm looking forward to getting mine soon.

Needless to say I could use a lot more practice with both lettering styles...


1 comment:

Leslie Miller said...

Ohhh, I'm really loving how you're using color with this lettering!